9 February 2017

Life in Your Twenties | What I've learnt in 21 years


Well, here I am in my twenties. The best years of your life, supposedly. Although they say that about primary school. Then they say it about secondary school. Then they say it about university. Then your twenties. Then your thirties. Then, after all that, they say life only begins at 40.

It's all too much if you ask me. But in my 21 years living as a master of procrastination and being way too stubborn for my own good, I've actually learnt something. So in no particular order, here are 21 things I've learnt in my 21 years;


You get out what you put in

You can't hand in an assignment worthy of a 40% and expect to get a first, just as you can't expect to make no effort with someone and have them be your best friend for the rest of eternity.

Not everything is the end of the world

The apocolypse doesn't happen because you failed your driving test honey. We're not all going to fall off the side of the planet and into the abyss, it's okay. Book it again. The world will keep on spinning in the meantime.

How to find the nice pictures on Google

Put the word Tumblr after it. Swear down. Want a picture of some mom jeans? "Mom jeans Tumblr". Going to Amsterdam? "Amsterdam Tumblr". Like avocados? "Avocado Tumblr". Okay, the last one was kind of a joke (also kind of not because I reckon it'd still work) but it's a life saver this one. All hail Tumblr and their love for nice aesthetics.

Nerves can be a good thing

Honestly some of my best work was done via improvisation during a presentation in which my brain decided to fail me by forgetting every line I'd ever practised. Lord knows what I said during those 15 minutes but it was more than mediocre, so I guess being nervous wasn't too bad after all.

Blogging is hard

It takes more time and effort than I have sometimes, but it's worth it when someone leaves a lovely comment or reaches out to you to say they like your work, so it's more good than bad!

Some people aren't going to like you, and that's okay

You can't be everyone's cup of tea and sometimes people won't like you (for no reason, even) and that okay, there's plenty of other people who will. However, some people are just bitches and don't like anyone, but don't let those people bother you, that's a lonely way to live.

Eating 4 doughnuts in a row won't kill you

It might be bad for your sugar levels and ruin your diet for the day, but you can always start again tomorrow. Doughnuts are good for the soul. Especially the ones with sprinkles on. The same applies to pizza... Extra cheese and a stuffed crust please!

Using a washing machine really is difficult

Should it be a synthetics wash, cotton and linen, delicate? Can the red bra go in with the grey jumper? Will it really turn everything pink? Which bit of the drawer does the powder go in? What about the fabric softener your mum sent you back to uni with? I say just wing it, it's like a guessing game... Will my clothes be wearable after I put it on a fast spin at 60 degrees? Who knows mate, who knows.

Reading is good for you

It winds you down before bed, it keeps your brain working during the day, it passes the time when you're trying to get a tan on holiday. It's generally just good for you and I don't know how people can dislike it, but each to their own I guess!

How to drive

I'm still not brilliant and I still stall nearly every time I drive, but I have a license so that's something!

Exercise doesn't have to be boring

Take a friend, buy pretty gym clothes, listen to the most upbeat music and it might not feel like such a chore. Also buy a skipping rope. Skipping is just as fun now as it was on the school playground while the rest of year 3 chanted that "salt and pepper, scooby-dooby-do" song. Give it a go girl!

What to do if you feel sad

Look at pictures of cute kittens. Instant therapy. You're welcome.

Blue eye shadow was never a good look

When I was first getting into makeup, I thought a sweep of turquoise blue Barry M eye shadow was the height of fashion. I was strutting about thinking I was a makeup goddess straight out of the 90's. I mean, I could probably make it work now, but it would be a huge push with my milk bottle complexion. I reckon that blue Barry M eye shadow is best left in 2004.

How to pass a presentation

Fake it until you make it kids. Pretend you're confident and no one will ever know you're crying your little heart out inside because you're so nervous.


When I was younger, I expected to be as wise as my I'd get by the time I was 21. I've got a lot more to learn (how to really use that washing machine, for one) but I do know a good bit more now than I did when I was younger. But anyway, I hope you enjoyed this list of things I've learnt over the years. Here's hoping one day I'll find that wisdom I should have found by now!

I hope you have a lovely week!